This is my 1st experience in Rampur where exposure with farmers provided me with immense pleasure. Never before in my life had I thought that direct conversation and contact with farmers could be that fruitful. I got to learn a lot from them and also didn’t miss the opportunity to convince them about what I knew about agriculture.Also, I could see that farmers were pleased to be here in Rampur Campus, Rampur and in Divyanagar-2, Majhedi together with us (Members of Youth Eco Network and teachers of Rampur Campus) on the occassion of National Rice Day.
“National Rice Day” means a lot to Nepalese farmers cause rice is the staple food of most of the Nepalese. Each year it is celebrated on 15th Ashad according to the Nepalese calender. This year we( members of Youth Eco network).celebrated 10th National Rice Day for two days: 14th Ashad (July 28) and 15th Ashad (July 29).
What did we do on 14th Ashad?
- We organized farmers’ level quiz competition program.
- There were 11 farmers’ group participating in the competition.
- We also displayed agricultural books and magazines as well as agricultural demonstration was done.
- Three different groups were chosen as winner.
What did we do on 15th Ashad?
- Conducted rice plantation program in Divyanager-2, Majhedi in the collaboration of District Agriculture Development Office.
- Mud race in the same place.
- Cultural performance by different ethnic group.
- Prize distribution to the winners of mud race and previous day’s quiz competition.
- Facilitated three different farmers of Chitwan( young farmer, elderly farmer and progressive farmer) with certificate and ‘khada’.
- Got refreshed with curd and beaten rice( Dahi Chiura).
This way we celebrated National Rice Day and it was really awesome being near to the farmers. Since, Nepal is the country where majority of the people prefer rice to be their staple food I wish that the productivity of rice goes up and will help farmers in the financial basis too. I wish that Nepal will no longer import food will be able to export the surplus food.